TEXT Mommy's Home: Bedtime Reading

Monday 3 October 2011

Bedtime Reading

One of my favorite things to do with my boys is reading the bedtime story. Well mostly because I can't wait till mommy time starts. I have a rule of 2 books and then if they are still not tired they can tell me a story or we sing and so on.

I have compiled a short book list (of sorts) which my boys love. If you are a mature reader, ie Game of Thrones, you may not like some of these books but if you are under the age of 4 then you will love it!

Tickle Monster By Josie Bissett. You may recognize this name as she is Jane from Melrose Place. Everytime I read this book, my 3 year old will hide under the covers giggling as he waits for more tickles. It is beautifully written and the illustrations are easy for kids to identify with the story. That is if they are not hiding under the covers.

Mortimer By Robert Munsch. This Canadian author takes humor to a whole new level. My son would ask me to read this book over and over until I memorized the whole thing. His love of writing and children, is apparent in all of his books.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  I have a library full of his books. They are all great for kids who want to explore. Besides the beautiful illustrations, this book will teach kids about counting, colors, fruits and the life cycle of a caterpillar. If you get a chance, pick up any of his books.

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise. My hubby really did not get this book but it is one of the favorites in this house. It is meant to be read slowly. You can actually feel them being lulled to sleep from the intonations of words. Great for nights when they are little wired.

Llama Llama Red Pajama By Anna Dewdney. If there was a book to sum up my son's life starting to sleep in big bed it would be this one. So much Llama Drama it is definitely a book that my kid could relate to.

A few tips when choosing a book for a toddler:

1. Check out your local library. My library has an on-line page that will categorize books by reading level, interests and so on. The categories are endless.

2. Keep in mind the toddler's age and attention span. I've bought books that were great but he didn't like them because they were too long. Also board books are great if your little one is still a little destructive.


There is so much more that I would love to share. If you have a favorite book for a toddler and you like to share, please post below. I love discovering new favorites with my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment