TEXT Mommy's Home: Chocolate? Yes I give it to my kids

Saturday 19 May 2012

Chocolate? Yes I give it to my kids

I think every mom wonders, are their kids eating enough, are they getting enough nutrition in their diet, what can I give them that they'll actually want to eat.

A month ago, I got introduced to Xocai chocolate. It is a brand of healthy chocolate that does not contain any refined sugars, waxes and fillers. When I heard about it, I thought to myself, oh I bet it is going to taste horrible especially if it is good for you.

I was surprised that it tasted so good. I gave it to my kids and they love it too. I was able to leave it in plain view because I knew they weren't getting sugar highs. What I didn't expect was this


  • They did not want regular chocolate bars after eating the Healthy chocolate. Easter treats are still in the pantry.
  • THEY were asking for healthy food like fruit salad for a snack
  • They were sleeping better
Not to mention how much energy I have to chase after two very active boys. I am able to resist the cravings for chips, popcorn, nachos, soda pop, french fries, cookies, you get the point. I can't say enough good things about this chocolate. 

Now if my kids ask me, can I have a snack, I can offer them a piece of healthy chocolate and we are BOTH happy.  

Here are some helpful links if you want to find out more about Xocai


Dr Steven Warren's take on Healthy Chocolate
Dr Gordon Pedersen
Cocoa "Vitamin" Benefits



10 Things to Look for in Healthy Chocolate

1. Choose dried, not roasted, cacao beans that have been washed and thoroughly cleaned.

2. Avoid chocolates that have undergone any alkalization or “dutching” processes, which can neutralize the effects of nutrients in the beans, as well as interfere with its antioxidant potential.

3. The chocolate should be tested for bacteria and other infectious agents, as well as for lead.

4. Processing temperature for cacao beans should not exceed 110°F.

5. Look at the ingredients—a healthful chocolate product should have cocoa butter and cocoa solids as primary ingredients, not milk fats or hydrogenated oils. Avoid chocolate products high in refined sugar, corn syrup and/ or preservatives.

6. Bitter is best. Although milk chocolate isn’t “bad,” studies have confirmed that chocolate products with the highest antioxidant activity contain at least 70 percent pure cocoa powder.

7. How chocolate is sweetened is another important point. Obviously, avoid products high in refined sugars. Instead, good sweetening agents include low-glycemic sugars such as unprocessed crystallized cane sugar, fructose, and agave syrup. Also, sugar alcohols such as erythritol are a good alternative. Low-glycemic sugars and sugar alcohols do not increase blood sugar levels because they are released more slowly into the blood. Though there may be contradictory information on the Internet regarding some of these sweetening agents, academic research shows they are effective and healthier than traditional refined sugars.

8. Avoid products that use waxes and preservatives.

9. Consider a healthful chocolate beverage, as they are an effective supplement delivery option designed for maximum nutritional effect. Not only are such products more easily absorbed and utilized by the body; they are also easier for the elderly and children to incorporate into a balanced, nutritionally sound diet plan.

10. Consider cocoa products combined with other nutrients and/or antioxidant compounds. Good options include those with berry ingredients like blueberry or acai berry

No comments:

Post a Comment